From the first bin (harvested a while back) remember I got 3lbs 7oz in total, with 2 very large tubers & a few small ones which were usable. This was a bin with only one slip planted in.
The second bin also only had one slip, planted exactly the same as the first. From this one I got a total of 2lbs (missed a bit when I took photo so added it on). Again 2 large tubers & a few smaller ones.
|second single slip bin.|
The third bin was taller but narrower (repurposed kitchen bin) than the first 2 bins and I had put 2 slips in this. When turned out there were much smaller tubers, only weighing in at 1lb 8oz.
|2 slips in taller, narrower bin|
|2 slips in taller narrower bin|
Well if my math is correct that gives me a total of 9lbs 6oz. Not too bad. There was definitely a larger harvest from the bins with only one slip in so I will say it is better to give more room for tubers to form & don't pack them into too small a space. I also noticed that the tubers formed close to the surface, so I think shallower, wider pots seems to be the way to go.
Remember these were dug up from the allotment before I left so this probably gave them a bit of a shock, also I have been told that you need to earth them up just like potatoes. So next year I will try planting one slip only in a wide pot only half filled with compost & then top it up as they grow. I think I will also keep the pots in the greenhouse a bit longer before placing out to see if the extra warmth helps.